<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Orbis non sufficit


Thursday, March 16, 2006

Stupid Lunch

Ok this post was going to be a comment on steves blog, where he has a post about an old man and how he was once young and not a cripple. My comment was going to be about this being one reason I practice martial arts, in the form of the following annocdote:
On monday my karate sensei went to get some chinese natural medicine therapy, however it seems the guy he went to may have been an awesome master of it, rather than a lot of the people who do some short course in it and set up a business. This guy was an 87 year old chinese man. One of the first things he did was to hold sensei's wrist in a certain way and say "hmm, good heart", then move his hand a little bit "hmm, good liver, you'll live a long time". He had a student there too, who then held sensei's wrist, presumably trying to find the same things that his master had found, though clearly having difficulty. Anyway, after his treatment sensei talked to him a bit and then to his student, finding out the following things:
This guy is a martial arts master too, with super high ranks in so many martial arts that in Korea he was awarded 10th dan in "martial arts", in general. He's also a tai chi master and teaches martial arts and chinese medicine in conjunction, each supplementing each other. Apparantly he still throws people across the dojo during practice as well. Pretty good for an 87 year old.

Anyway, thats about where my story intersects with steves post, I'm just saying I'd like to be able to throw people across the training hall when I'm 87. The rest I just found to be cool, and good to know that there are still such people around. You can never be sure with people, some people just make crap up or have 10th dan in some crap easy-way style or something, but my sensei seemed to think this guy was the real deal.

Also, I'm considering stealing Steve's blackboard idea, it would be awesome-cool to have a big blackboard on my wall to do work on. Also it would be amusing to freak out people who come into my room with crazy equations and such. I have a pretty big wall opposite my bed, with a lot of space between my bookshelf and the door, if I move the cork board some other place. Having a big blackboard covering that from about waist height almost to the roof would just be classy. I wonder how I'd get it in there... probably have to have it in a couple of pieces. Steve says there's some kind of blackboard paint you use, we probably won't need a whole tin of it each, might be able to go halvsies or something. Unless it comes in a small tin. Would have to buy wood too... though painting straight onto the wall would be fun too :p.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?