<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Orbis non sufficit


Thursday, April 13, 2006

So much to do, so little time

This applies to the work I have to do over the break, for which I will be away for about 5 days of :p.
Though what I was actually thinking of was all the maths units that I want to do, which it is physically impossible to do with my current course structure. I could probably manage it if I add an extra semester to my course (not cool).

Maths units to do:

ASP3012 Stars and galaxies
ASP3051 Relativity and cosmology

MTH3011 Partial differential equations

MTH3021 Complex analysis and integral transforms
MTH3122 Algebra and number theory I
MTH3132 Analysis and geometry
MTH3140 Real analysis
MTH3150 Algebra and number theory II

MTH3360 Fluid dynamics

One of those I'm doing now, another 3 I have pencilled into my course plan, leaving 5 of them in limbo (those middle five). Not sure I can jam those in in any reasonable fashion. They look so cool though, they're all really pure maths sorts of subjects, which is really deep. Actually I found that if I want a major in pure mathematics then I only need to do two of those five, which I could do If I ditch the fluid dynamics for instance. It wouldn't really feel like a pure maths major to me though, without those other things.
Mostly I've developed an interest in those topics because of the special maths topic that Steve and I do. It's really nuts but it's interesting too, and I'd like to learn more about it and related topics, which would be the algebra topics listed above. Those and the complex analysis are the important ones to do I think. Of course I don't want to leave those astrophysics units out either, gotta learn about relativity and black holes and such. Maybe I should be doing a science degree without this engineering junk. That would free up the space required. I need the engineering for my baloon craft though, so I'm not eager to throw that away. But the mathematics is important too, it's like the underlying theory behind everything.
I wonder if my brain will eventually explode from trying to cram too much stuff in there.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?