<$BlogRSDUrl$>



Orbis non sufficit


Monday, November 13, 2006

Albury Seminar 2006

Well I'm not really going to say too much about this but it was an awesome trip and its existence needs to be acknowledged in my blog. It's difficult to explain what I learned from it -aside from the actual techniques and such, which weren't the important part really- so I won't bother too much. I feel somewhat enlightened by the experience though, and I find myself noticing the potential 'kung fu' in everything more than before. It was quite awesome seeing the grand master demonstrating the various techniques and everything. It's not so much that you watched him and thought "wow, I'd be so dead if I was on the end of that", since I don't really think he went all out at any time when I was watching, but the skill and perfection with which he executed everything was inspiring. Also the speed. Especially since he made it look so easy, like anyone should be able to do it, no problems. Then remember that he's 64 or so. And having said that, those techniques may not kill you but they'd mess you up pretty bad.
It was good seeing the people from the other Victorian dojos too, good to train with a whole heap of people who you've never met before but have been on a similar path to you. Played some basketball with some of the younger people from another dojo, man I suck at shooting. I need to develop more kung fu in that area. It was fun though, must play more basketball.
I was considering the evolution of the human race before. Say for instance that we are moving towards eventually being of pretty much transcendant intellectual ability, say with everyone having savant abilities and high IQs to go along with it. Could we also be moving towards everyone being perfectly physically in tune with themselves and their surroundings too? Ie, having having extreme skill and grace in everything? This could have a savant component to it, but harmonious muscles are also needed. But then I wonder if this would be a good thing. It would seem to be totally un-kungfu, since kung fu requires motivation, discipline and especially time. I believe a decent short translation is something like "achievement through great effort" or simply "virtue". If there is no effort, there is no kung fu, clearly nothing is learned from being preternaturally skillful. Perhaps the same can be said of all savant abilities, though clearly some of the things those autistic people can do could never be done by a normal person no matter how many years they practised for. So if we aren't headed for these things, where are we headed?

Comments:
To split into 2, one being ugly, dumb and malformed but many, and the other being tall, handsome, smart but few.

Also, as our abilities got better we would find more challenging things to apply ourselves to, so that while doing things we do now might be easy and completely un-kung fu, we would be able to practice everythign at a far highter level. There will always be limits, and pushing those is what requires effort and is thus kung fu.
 
Hmm, very good, I like that.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?